Sunday, June 28, 2009

Stretch Cheese Sandwiches

I came up with this a long long time ago when the kids were little. It was a riot!

My kids have always loved grilled cheese sandwiches. I would take a slice of Kraft Singles and place between two pieces of bread. I would heat a skillet to medium. I would take room temperature butter and spread on the outside of the bread and place in the skillet and let it slowly brown on one side and flip to the other side to let it brown. Slow cooking and browning allows the cheese inside to melt. But what I found one time when I was out of Kraft Singles.....

I had a package (block) of mozzarella cheese. I cut it into thin layers with my cheese slicer. I placed it in such a way as to fit the bread. The rest of the procedure is the same. Butter the bread, place in the skillet and slowly brown on both sides.

My three kids laughed so hard when they started biting into their sandwiches and seeing the stretch cheese pull away from their mouths like biting into a cheesy pizza....well, it became one of my better memories of when my kids were little. They would ask for stretch cheese sandwiches for years to come. Even though they are now 20, 21 and 26 years old, they still sometimes ask me to make stretch cheese sandwiches!!

These are great with tomato soup or chili.

1 comment:

  1. What a great memory! I grew up loving my Mom's grilled cheese sandwiches, but she called them Cheese Toastees. Great blog and great recipes!

    ReplyDelete