Sunday, July 19, 2009

Souper Chicken Thighs

1 package of chicken thighs (4 - 6 pieces)
1 (10-3/4 ounce) cream of mushroom soup
1 (10-3/4 ounce) cream of celery soup
1 (10-3/4 ounce) cream of onion soup
1 small onion chopped
Tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 soup can of water

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees. Smear olive oil over bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Lay the thighs on the bottom of dish. Sprinkle the chopped onion over the thighs.

Next, add the three cans of soup together in a large mixing bowl and add a half soup can of water to the mix. Stir until blended well and thinned out. Pour over the chicken and onions.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Remove foil and bake on 350 for another 30 minutes.

I made this last week and I only had 4 thighs in my package so I had extra room in my casserole dish. After I let the thighs cook for the first hour with tin foil, I added some left over green peas to one corner of the casserole dish and two chopped carrots in another corner. The soup gravy covered them nicely. When I put the dish back in the oven to bake for the final 30 minutes the carrots were partially cooked to semi tender. The peas were already fully cooked anyway so that didn't matter. This came out of the oven smelling like home made chicken pot pie without a crust! My daughter had been napping before she had to go to work and the aroma woke her up it was so good! I was making home made biscuits to go with it but she couldn't wait for them to be done. She dug into my chicken dish before I could even take a picture of it! Later my two sons were just as enthused over it.

I had some of the soup-gravy left over for the next day. So I used it to top off baked potatoes. YUM! Use your imagination on this one. You could spoon this gravy over rice or noodles or mashed potatoes or...sop it up with a biscuit!

P.S.... I don't add any salt to recipes that have this much regular soup because soup is already salty. I do add black pepper because I like it. You don't have to though. It's all about what you like.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I love using canned soup in dishes like this. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete